The database administrator will be responsible for the proper functioning of the database servers, essentially relational (OLTP) or decisional (OLAP), in regards to conception of databases, validation tests, coordination of persons involved, system exploitation, protection and usage control.
Summary of responsibilities
- Participating in the establishment of standards and good practices: deciding on object-naming norms for internally created databases, articulating good practices that developers will be required to follow, documenting maintenance procedures so that other participants can intervene when the administrator is absent;
- Managing security concerning access to data: defining or implementing data access by authorizing connection profiles with the ability to execute certain commands in certain management databases;
- Taking care of data recovery: ensuring the established backup plan is operational and able to recover data;
- Maintaining the database: verifying that storage spaces are in proper condition, and repairing them if needed;
- Maintaining performance levels: ensuring data access is timely, and remains so over time;
- Managing data flux: taking charge of issues surrounding import and export of data, both in terms of resources to be allocated and of the security to be put in place;
- Participating in optimization; regularly and proactively carrying out measurement campaigns in order ot identify and prevent contention problems or response lags before they interfere with usage, and proposing measures to be taken to remedy problems (better management of transactions, indexing studies, statistics, rewriting requests;
- Creating and developing emergency measures to follow in case of natural disaster;
- Collaborating on the migration of data from Sybase to PostgreSQL.
- In-depth knowledge of PostgreSQL as well as of MySQL, Sybase, LDAP
- Experience in the writing of SQL requests and in performance optimization
- Experience in the use of surveillance solutions (Nagios, Cacti, MON)
- Experience in language of scripts like Python and Perl
- Knowledge of Linux (CentOS, SuSE Linux Enterprise, Ubuntu)
- Regrouping of servers: Linux Virtual Server
- Asset: voice on IP (Asterisk)
- 5-10 years’ experience in similar functions
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Capacity to work as part of a team
- Bilingual (English/French)
Are you interested in this challenge?
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.